- Two-part formula cures quickly at room temperature (75°F) to form a strong durable bond in 90-120 minutes
- Available in bulk or duo-pak cartridges
- High shear strength for structural applications
- Thick formula provides controlled flow for professional results and minimal waste
Used in bonding metals, wood, and plastics.
We developed 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive EC-3501 B/A as a two-part epoxy adhesive that rapidly cures at room temperature to form a tough bond. Our thixotropic adhesive is an ideal solution for filling pinholes in composites before painting. It is also effective on metals and many plastics. It can be dispensed in duo-pak cartridges for use with the 3M™ EPX™ Applicator System for minimal waste and professional results. The mix ratio is 1:1 and the adhesive provides a 5-10 minute work life. The adhesive reaches handling strength in 90-120 minutes and is fully cured in 8 hours (at 72°F /22°C).
What Are Epoxy Adhesives?
3M™ epoxy adhesives are part of the class of adhesives called "structural adhesives," which also includes polyurethane and acrylic adhesives. Epoxy adhesives are typically formulated with reactive components (Base and Accelerator) that cure when mixed to form a solid plastic material. 3M provides epoxy adhesives in multiple formats to support your processing needs:
– In this format the Base and Accelerator are stored separately which enables the adhesive to have a long shelf life even when stored at room temperature. These materials are available in a duo-pak cartridges for use with the 3M™ EPX™ Applicator System, enabling you to simultaneously meter, mix and apply two-part adhesives. For larger scale operations, you can purchase these in bulk. Because these parts are mixed at point of use, you can reduce waste by saving non-mixed unused material for a later job.
– In this format, we do the mixing for you and ship it frozen. You store it in a freezer, then remove and thaw it when you’re ready to use it.
– In this one-part format, we not only do the mixing for you, but we also turn it into a film that can be specifically cut to size and placed into your bond line. We offer a variety of films in different weights/thickness and supports. These films must be stored frozen.
In a two-part epoxy adhesive, once the two parts are mixed in their specified ratio, they begin the curing process and offer a limited working time where the adhesive can be applied and the two surfaces positioned as needed. Similarly, in a one-part adhesive there is a limited out time after which material is thawed during which it must be used. This work life or out time lasts anywhere from a few minutes to 48 hours or longer.
In general, epoxy adhesives provide high shear and peel strengths and have good environmental resistance. These adhesives are preferred for their ease of use, mechanical strength and chemical resistance. Depending on the formulation, epoxy adhesives can be flexible or rigid, transparent or opaque, quick setting or slow setting, high flow or low flow, room temperature or elevated temperature cure. Epoxy adhesives are among the strongest adhesives available, making them well-suited for jobs requiring strength and durability.
Our Best for Your Best
3M is proud to partner with organizations across the spectrum of aerospace and related industries. Enabling efficiencies, reducing process times and lowering aircraft weight is how we execute our never-ending mission to offer best-in-class adhesives, sealants, surface protection products and composite resins that effectively reduce costs on multiple fronts. Professionals across the industry know the numerous advantages of 3M Aerospace. Our brand is widely recognized for the highest standards of quality and performance, adding value to the final results. By engineering reliability, longevity and value into all of our products, we have a history of saving money by reducing waste, rework and time.